I am currently finding new ways to educate my patients on health and wellness tips, along with chiropractic care. I have started this page where I will share with my patients and the public, health and wellness tips that will keep them active and eating right. All the while learning how to take care of their bodies and promoting a healthier YOU! I also do this on the business Facebook page which can be found here
. Just click "like" on the Facebook page and you can begin receiving these helpful tips!
Low Back Pain:
Dr. True's Health Tips of the Day: Low Back Pain
* Maintain a healthy diet and weight
* Remain Active! - under the supervision of your doctor of chiropractic
* Avoid prolonged bed rest of inactivity
* Warm up or stretch prior to any physical activity, such as gardening
* Maintain a proper posture
* Wear comfortable, low- heeled shoes
* Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine
* Lift with you knees, keep the object close to your body, and do NOT twist when lifting
* Quit smoking!! Smoking impairs blood flow, resulting in oxygen and nutrient deprivation to spinal tissues.
* Work with your doctor of chiropractic to ensure that your computer and workstation is ergonomically correct
Yours in Health,
Dr. True's Health Tips of the Day: Sleeping well helps lose weight
If you're trying your best to eat right and exercise, it might be worth it to make sure you get the proper amount of sleep each night, according to a new study that suggests lack of sleep can throw off a diet. In the latest study published by Annals of Internal Medicine, dieters who slept for 8.5 hours lost 55 percent more body fat than dieters who only got 5.5 hours of shut-eye. It is believed that insufficient amounts of sleep affect your hunger-regulating hormones, leptin and ghrelin. This and other studies have shown that when you are sleep deprived, your body decreases production of leptin (whose job it is to tell your brain when you're full and should stop eating), while at the same time increasing levels of ghrelin, a hormone that triggers hunger.
Lack of sleep also appears to affect glucose and fat utilization in your body, as well as energy metabolism – all of which can lead to a decreased ability to lose weight.
**Make sure you get 6-8 hours of shut-eye each night to maintain a good sleep habit as well as regulating hormonal balance.
Yours in Health,
Dr. True's Health Tip of the Day: Blueberries
Atherosclerosis is on the rise in the United States today. Atherosclerosis is a disease marked by plaque in the arteries. Made up of fat, cholesterol, calcium, and other substances found in our blood. Plaque hardens overtime and narrows arteries and limits blood flow of oxygen-rich blood throughout the body. The results of this can be fatal in the form of a heart attack or stroke!
- Eating Blueberries may help prevent cardiovascular disease by causing plaque in the arteries to regress. Blueberries contain a compound called pterostilbene, which may be effective in lowering cholesterol.
- Blueberries also help with early aging, protect the brain from free radicals and inflammation, and may help reverse the decline in cognitive and motor function.
- Blueberries are a great source of Vitamin C and Vitamin E
** I recommend eating the fruit and not drinking the juice or taking the tablet, to obtain the greatest effect of Blueberries.
Yours in Health,
Dr. True's Health Tip of the Day:Cancer Fighting Foods
Anti-Angiogenesis is a form of therapy where they target specific properties in the foods we eat that have been shown to have this Anti-Angiogenesis effect. When tumors grow, they need a blood supply to grow inside us. Well, with this therapy, it consists of using natural foods that deprive cancerous tumors of their blood supplies. Anti-Angiogenesis works to starve tumors to death by choking off/ inhibiting their blood supply. When tumors are deprived of regular blood supply, they will DIE! Well, just like it is great to consume foods with high anti-oxidant effects, like Green Tea, Dark Chocolate, Berries, Grapefruit, Legumes, Walnuts, Spinach, etc.. Antioxidants act as tumor cell destroyers (they kill free radicals in our body which have been shown to promote Cancer cell growth). So you can see why if we implement both of these types of foods in our diet we are getting double the effect!! And as new studies show 1 in every 2 men will develop cancer in their lifetime and 1 in 3 women. What a better time to start, then now! So here are my quick tips to eating your way to stay Cancer free!
Foods with proven Anti-Angiogenesis Effects: (lest to greatest)
#5 Bok Choy - it's a cabbage, similar to eating Spinach. 1/2 cup, 3 times per week
#4 Cooked Tomatoes- they have Lycopene which has this effect (but must be cooked to activate the Lycopene), cook in olive oil 1/2 cup, 2 to 3 times per week
#3 Flounder or Halibut or Salmon - Rich in Omega 3's
#2 Strawberries - 1 cup 2 to 3 times per week
#1 Artichoke - a quarter cup a day
*Remember, the more we eat of these foods the more anti-angiogenesis effects we get!
Yours in Health,